Thursday, April 27, 2017

SharePoint 2013 - Sign in as a different user

I keep forgetting this, so noting it down here:

_layouts/closeConnection.aspx?loginasanotheruser=true


Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Calling constructor of an internal class

I keep running into code that tries to "hide" from being used such as making classes internal or private. It is a royal pain in the ass when debugging.

Fortunately, reflection is very easy with powershell so we can do something like this:

$parameters = @(some-array-of-parameters)
$assemblyName='full-name-of-the-assembly'
$typeName = 'full-name-of-the-type'
Add-Type -AssemblyName $assemblyName
$assembly = [Reflection.Assembly]::Load($assemblyName)
$bindingFlags = [Reflection.BindingFlags]"Default,NonPublic" # also include Static if needed
$t = $assembly.GetType($typeName)
$m = $t.GetConstructors() | Where-Object {$_.GetParameters().Count -gt 0} # in my case, I happen to be looking for a non-default constructor
$myclassinstance = $m.Invoke($parameters)



Tuesday, April 4, 2017

SocialDataManager.SocialDataManager Proxy has no ServiceContext available

Just ran into this issue when trying to instantiate Microsoft.Office.Server.SocialData.SocialTagManager in powershell:

$siteUrl = 'some-site-url'
$site = Get-SPSite $siteUrl
$serviceContext = Get-SPServiceContext($site)
$msstm = New-Object Microsoft.Office.Server.SocialData.SocialTagManager($serviceContext)

New-Object : Exception calling ".ctor" with "1" argument(s): "UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException_Logging :: SocialDataManager.SocialDataManager Proxy has no ServiceContext available."
At line:1 char:10
+ $msstm = New-Object Microsoft.Office.Server.SocialData.SocialTagManager($service ...
+          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [New-Object], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConstructorInvokedThrowException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand


Not much out there, but the UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException provided a clue. I did not track down the specific cause, but it looks like I was not running powershell with an account that admin permissions in the UPA or MMS. I did not have time to dig further, but instead simply opened up my powershell as the farm account and did not run into the same problem.


Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Finding Alias for SharePoint Email Enabled Lists

As usual, there are several ways to do this that can be readily found via a search

Powershell: Loop through each Web Application, Site Collection (SPSite), Subweb (SPWeb), List. Then look in the EmailAlias property for what you are searching. In large environments, I suspect that this would be very slow and resource intensive. Here is a Foreach-Object pipeline that would do the trick:

Get-SPWebApplication | ForEach-Object {$_.Sites} | ForEach-Object {$_.AllWebs} | ForEach-Object {$_.Lists} | Where-Object {$_.CanReceiveEmail -and $_.EmailAlias} | Format-Table EmailAlias, Title, ParentWebUrl -AutoSize


SQL: One way is to essentially do the above but via the content databases, but this one also seems resource intensive:

USE [Some_Content_DB]
SELECT tp_Title, tp_EmailAlias, FullUrl
  FROM [dbo].[AllLists] lists
  LEFT JOIN [dbo].[AllWebs] webs ON lists.tp_WebId = webs.Id
  WHERE tp_EmailAlias IS NOT NULL

SQL: I decided to see what the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Incoming E-Mail timer job does (job-email-delivery) since the timer job should be quite fast. Looking at the code, I can see that it calls the proc_getEmailEnabledListByAlias stored procedure. Diving into that, I see that this may be a better query:

SELECT * FROM [SharePoint_Config].[dbo].[EmailEnabledLists] 


However, I did also run across a post mentioning that it is possible the Config database and the Content database can be out of sync. So, it may still be necessary to choose the correct method depending on the problem one is trying to tackle.